3mm vs 4mm Rope Chain: Which One Should You Get?
The 3mm and 4mm rope chains are some of the most popular widths for rope chain necklaces right now. From afar, it can be hard to tell the differences between these two chains. This can make choosing between the two chains a difficult task.
In this blog, we compare the 3mm vs 4mm rope chain. We’ll go over the pros, cons and differences of each rope chain. We’ll then offer some recommendations on which one is best for your needs!
3mm Rope Chain
3mm Silver Stainless Steel Rope Chain In 20 Inch By Sky Austria
- Lightweight - the 3mm rope chain is super lightweight because of its smaller diameter. This makes it comfortable for everyday wear.
- Versatile - the subtle look of the 3mm rope chain means it can easily be paired with other chains and pendants. They are also suitable to be worn in both formal and casual outfits. The 3mm rope chain is also perfect to hold smaller and more lightweight pendants/
- Price - compared to thicker variations of the rope chain, the 3mm rope chain is much more affordable. This is because it will use less materials.
- Durability - the smaller diameter of the 3mm rope chain makes it more prone to breaking.
- Appearance - it can be quite hard to see the details and style of the 3mm rope chain from a distance as it has a subtle look to it.
- Versatility - in general the 3mm rope chain is versatile. But, it is not suitable for holding heavier types of pendants.
4mm Rope Chain:
- Versatile - even though the 4mm rope chain has a bolder look, it is still great to be paired with other chains and pendants. The 4mm rope chain is also suitable for both formal and casual events. This width of rope chain is also ideal for holding medium-sized pendants.
- Appearance - The appearance of the 4mm rope chain is much more prominent than thinner variations. This makes it an ideal piece for both layering and wearing as a statement piece.
- Durability - because of it's thicker diameter, the 4mm rope chain offers great durability and is less prone to breaking than thinner variations.
- Heavy - the thicker diameter alongside more materials used makes the 4mm rope chain significantly heavier than thinner variations. For some, this may be uncomfortable to wear on a daily basis.
- Price - the 4mm rope chain will use more materials than thinner variations as it is overall a bigger chain.
- Versatility - the 4mm chain is not suitable to hold more delicate pendants as the chain will be too thick to fit through the pendant bail.
Differences Between The 3mm And 4mm Rope Chain:
- Appearance - the 3mm rope chain has a much more subtle look to it because of its smaller diameter. The 4mm rope chain gives off a bolder look because of its wider diameter.
- Weight - the 4mm rope chain is much heavier than the 3mm tennis chain. This is because the 4mm rope chain has a greater diameter.
- Durability - the 4mm rope chain will offer greater durability than the 3mm rope chain. This is because of its thicker links and diameter.
- Styling - It is easier to style a 3mm rope chain compared to a 4mm rope chain. The 3mm rope chain is a versatile piece that can be worn on it's own, or even layered with other chains and pendants to create a statement look without overdoing it.
- Price - the 3mm rope chain is more affordable than the 4mm rope chain. This is because it is a smaller chain and will use less materials.
3mm vs 4mm Rope Chain: Which Is Better?
Which is better for you will depend on a variety of factors including your personal preference, styling needs and budget.
The 3mm rope chain is perfect for an individual who is looking for a subtle and lightweight chain that offers decent durability. This chain is perfect for someone looking for a chain that is affordable and offers great styling versatility.
The 4mm rope chain is perfect for someone looking for a bolder chain that has a heavier feel around the neck. This chain is a must-have for someone looking for a super durable chain that is able to hold heavier pendants.
Now that we have compared the 3mm vs 4mm rope chain, you should have a better understanding of both. In this blog, we went through the pros and cons of each and how they vary in styling, appearance and durability.
You can’t go wrong with either of these rope chains. Both offer outstanding durability, are versatile for styling and elevate any outfit.
Ultimately the right rope chain for you will be down to personal preference. We recommend choosing the one you feel the most comfortable wearing!
Looking to learn more about the rope chain? Check out our blog which covers everything you should know about the rope chain.
Is a 4mm rope chain too thick?No, the 4mm rope chain isn’t too thick. The 4mm rope chain is much more of a medium-sized rope chain, which is only slightly bolder than a 3mm rope chain.
What is the best mm for a rope chain?The best mm for a rope chain will depend on how you plan on styling your rope chain. If you are planning on layering other chains and pendants with it, go for a 3mm rope chain. If you are looking to wear the rope chain as both a layering piece and a statement piece, then go for a 4mm rope chain.
Is a 4mm chain good?Yes, the 4mm rope chain is a good choice for those buying their first rope chain. At 4mm the rope chain is neither too subtle nor bold.