3mm vs 5mm Tennis Chain: Which One Is Better?
Are you struggling to choose between the 3mm and 5mm tennis chains? Unsure which one to go for? We don’t blame you. The 3mm and 5mm tennis chains are among the most popular widths of tennis chains. Both of these tennis chains come with their own set of pros and cons which you need to be aware of!
In this blog, we compare the 3mm vs 5mm tennis chain to help make you make a decision. We’ll go through the pros, cons and differences of both these tennis chain necklaces. At the end of the blog, we’ll offer some recommendations to you based on a number of different factors!
3mm Tennis Chain
3mm Silver Tennis Chain
- Versatility - the 3mm tennis chain is a much more subtle piece. This makes it easy to style with both casual and formal outfits. The chain can also work well layered with other pendants and chains.
- Price - because the 3mm tennis chain features smaller diamonds/stones, it is more affordable. This is great for someone who still wants the shiny look of the tennis chain but is on a budget.
- Lightweight - the 3mm tennis chain will feature a smaller carat of a diamond. This means it won't be too heavy on your neck, making it perfect for daily wear.
- Easier to maintain - it is easier to clean a 3mm tennis chain because it is thinner. You will spend less time and effort cleaning as the diamonds are much smaller.
- Appearance - the 3mm tennis chain is less bold and shiny than thicker tennis chains. This is because the chain will feature much smaller diamonds or gemstones.
- Prone to damage - The 3mm tennis chain is less durable than thicker variations. Diamonds or gemstones have a great risk of falling out. In addition to this, the links of the chain are much thinner and more fragile.
- Get caught in hair - the 3mm tennis is more likely to get caught in hair. This is because the chain has a smaller surface area and is more flexible. This increases the chances of hairs getting caught.
5mm Tennis Chain
5mm Silver Tennis Chain
- Shiny - the 5mm tennis chains offer great shine and add a luxurious look to any outfit. This makes it the perfect jewellery piece for someone who wants a shiny chain that will make a statement.
- Appearance - the 5mm tennis chain has a thicker and bold appearance. This is perfect for someone who is looking for a chain that offers shine whilst also being bold.
- Durability - the 5mm tennis chain has greater durability than thinner variations. This is because the chain has thicker and stronger links that are able to withstand daily wear and tear.
- Expensive - the 5mm tennis chain has larger and greater carats of diamonds or stones. This makes the 5mm tennis chain more expensive to buy than thinner variations.
- Versatility - the 5mm tennis chain is not as versatile as thinner tennis chains. The 5mm tennis chain is bold, so it can be hard to wear with formal outfits or to pair with pendants and chains.
- Heavy - the 5mm tennis chain is thicker and has a greater carat of diamonds/stone. For some, the 5mm tennis chain can be too heavy to wear all day and can cause discomfort around the neck.
- Maintenance - because the 5mm tennis chain is quite large it can be harder to maintain its shine and look. It will also take more effort and time to clean properly.
Differences Between The 3mm and 5mm Tennis Chain
- Appearance - the 3mm tennis chain is a much more subtle chain than the 5mm tennis chain. From afar, it can be harder to notice the 3mm tennis chain compared to the 5mm tennis chain.
- Weight - the 5mm tennis chain is much heavier than the 3mm tennis chain. This is because it features larger and greater carat of diamonds/stones. The 5mm tennis chain also has larger links.
- Price - the 5mm tennis chain will be much more expensive than the 3mm tennis chain. This is mainly because the 5mm tennis chain features larger diamonds of a greater carat.
- Durability - the 5mm tennis chain is much more durable than the 3mm tennis chain. The thicker links of the 5mm tennis chain make it more resistant to daily wear and tear.
- Size of diamonds - the 5mm tennis chain will utilise much more diamonds than a 3mm tennis chain. This is because the chain is overall thicker and the carat of diamonds is greater.
- Styling - the 3mm tennis chain is more versatile to style than the 5mm tennis chain. The 3mm tennis chain is great worn on its own or layered with another pendant or chain. The 3mm tennis chain is also much easier to style with both casual and formal outfits. The 5mm tennis chain is better suited as a statement piece and is harder to layer with other necklaces.
- Maintenance requirement - the 5mm tennis chain will require greater maintenance than the 3mm tennis chain. This is because there is more surface area to clean.
3mm vs 5mm Tennis Chain: Which One Is Better?
Whether the 3mm or 5mm tennis chain is best for you will depend on many factors. These include your budget, your personal preferences and how you plan on styling these chains.
The 3mm tennis chain is perfect for those that want a thinner chain that still catches the eye when worn. This is the ideal chain for those that want to style the tennis chain with other chains or pendants. For those on a budget, the 3mm tennis chain is a great chain to get.
The 5mm tennis chain is the perfect chain for those looking for a bold chain that will make a statement. The 5mm tennis chain offers great durability and is ideal for those that have a little more to spend. This chain is also great for those that like the feel of a heavier chain.
Now that we have compared the 3mm vs 5mm tennis chain, you should have a better understanding of the pros, cons and differences between the chains. Some of the main differences between the chains include their weight, durability, diamond size, styling versatility and price.
With this information, you should be able to make a more informed buying decision when choosing between the 3mm and 5mm tennis chains. Whichever tennis chain you decide to buy just know that both of these chains are timeless pieces that make a perfect addition to any jewellery collection.
Want to learn more about the tennis chain? Check out our ultimate guide to tennis chains.
What Size Chain Is Best For A Man?
The best size tennis chain for men will usually be thicker versions. This is because they provide a more masculine and bold look. Therefore the 5mm tennis chain is better suited for a man. It is a medium sized tennis chain making it suitable as a statement and layering piece. In terms of length, a tennis chain between 20 - 22 inches will provides a great fit for most men.
What Is The Best Size Size Stone To Get Tennis Chain In?
The best size stone to get a tennis chain will depend on personal preference. For those that like a more subtle chain that can be layered with other necklaces, the 3mm tennis chain is better suited. For those that want a tennis chain that makes a statement and is bold, the 5mm tennis chain will be better.
How Thick Is A Micro Tennis Chain?
A micro tennis chain is the same as a standard tennis chain but is much thinner in size. Usually, a micro tennis chain will vary between 1mm and 4mm in width.