4mm vs 5mm Cuban Link Chain: Which One Should You Buy?
The Cuban chain remains one of the most popular styles of chains right now. Two of the most popular widths for the Cuban chain include the 4mm and 5mm variations. Whilst they look similar in appearance from afar there are small differences between the two you should know before making a buying decision.
In this blog, we go over the 4mm vs 5mm Cuban link chain. We'll of over the pros, cons and differences between these two Cubans, then come up with a conclusion on which is best for you.
The 4mm Cuban Link Chain
- Versatile - the 4mm Cuban link chain is more of a subtle size Cuban chain, making it versatile for styling. The 4mm Cuban link chain looks great layered with other chains or with a pendant necklace. The chain works well with both casual and smart outfits.
- Price - a 4mm Cuban link chain is more affordable than thicker ones because it uses fewer metals. The 4mm Cuban link chain is an affordable option for those looking to get a Cuban chain.
- Lightweight - the 4mm Cuban link chain is much more lightweight than thicker ones. This makes it a great chain for daily wear.
- Durability - the 4mm Cuban link chain is durable, but thicker variations are more durable. This is because each link is not as thick or wide.
- Appearance - The 4mm Cuban link chain is subtle. From afar it can be hard to see the well-known bold and rounded look of the Cuban chain.
- Maintenance - Cuban chains tend to be difficult to clean as they are. Cleaning between links of a 4mm Cuban chain is even more difficult as gaps between links are small.
The 5mm Cuban Link Chain
5mm Gold Cuban Link Chain by Sky Austria
- Versatile - the 5mm Cuban link chain is considered a medium size chain, making it easy to style. The 5mm Cuban link chain is great for layering with other chains and pendant necklaces. It can also be worn as a statement piece on its own. The chain also suits both casual and smart outfits.
- Appearance - At 5mm the Cuban link chain’s loved and well-known bold and rounded look becomes more visible. This makes it perfect for both layerings and as a statement piece.
- Durability - At 5mm the Cuban link chain has great durability, especially compared to thinner variations. This is because of its thicker and wider links.
- Lightweight - at 5mm the Cuban link chain looks bold whilst still being lightweight. This makes it the perfect chain for everyday wear.
- Expensive - the 5mm Cuban link chain uses more metals than thinner variations. In addition to this, the 5mm Cuban link chain is one of the most sought chains. Because of this, the 5mm Cuban link chain is quiet expensive.
Differences Between The Two Cuban Chains
- Appearance - Despite the small variation in size between the 4mm and 5mm Cuban link chains, they have a different look. The 4mm Cuban chain is much more of a subtle-looking chain compared to the 5mm Cuban link chain. This is because at 5mm the Cuban chain's boldness and roundness become more apparent.
- Weight - The 5mm Cuban link chain is a bit heavier than the 4mm. This is because the 5mm Cuban link has much thicker and rounder links.
- Durability - The 5mm Cuban link chain is a bit more durable than the 4mm Cuban link chain. This is because the 5mm Cuban has thicker and rounder links.
- Amount of gold - The 5mm Cuban link chain is a little bit more gold than the 4mm Cuban link chain. This is because the chain is bigger.
- Styling - The 5mm Cuban link chain is more versatile for styling than the 4mm Cuban link chain. This is because the 5mm Cuban link chain is a medium size chain. This makes it perfect for layering with other chains or pendant necklaces or to wear on its own as a statement piece.
- Price - The 5mm Cuban link chain is more expensive than the 4mm Cuban link chain. This is because the chain features much thicker links, which require more metals to make.
- Maintenance - The 5mm Cuban link chain is easier to maintain than the 4mm. The 4mm Cuban link chain has smaller gaps between links. This can make it difficult to clean in between links.
4mm vs 5mm Cuban Link Chain: Which One Is Better?
Which one is better will depend on your personal preference and how you plan to style it.
The 4mm Cuban link chain is perfect for those looking for a subtle chain that is great for layering with pendants, chains or adding pendants onto. The chain has a much more lightweight feel and is perfect for those on a budget.
The 5mm Cuban link chain is perfect for those looking for a versatile styling piece. The chain works well layered with pendants, chains or adding pendants, but can also be worn as a statement. This is the ideal chain for those who love the heavy feeling of a chain. This thickness of the Cuban chain is easier to clean and is super durable. For those with a little bit more money to spend on their Cuban chains, the 5mm Cuban chain is a must-have.
Now that we have compared the 4mm vs 5mm Cuban link chain you should know the pros, cons and differences between the two.
When the time comes, you should be able to make an informed decision about which one you want to purchase. If you are a jeweller, this blog post should provide an easy way to explain to your clients the differences between the two similar-looking Cuban chains.
Whichever chain you choose, both the 4mm and 5mm Cuban link chains are great additions to any wardrobe.
Want to learn more about Cuban link chains? Read our guide which covers everything you need to know about the Cuban chain.
What Is The Best MM Size For A Cuban Link?
The best mm size for a Cuban chain will depend on how you plan to wear and style it. For everyday wear, we recommend going no more than 10mm in width. 10mm width is a great size for a statement piece.
For styling versatility, the 5mm Cuban link chain is the best. This is because it is a medium-sized Cuban chain. This means it works well as a statement piece or layered with other chains or pendants.
Is a 4mm Chain A Good Size?
Yes, a 4mm Cuban chain is a great size. At this width, the Cuban chain is more subtle and great to wear tucked in a t-shirt. It is also versatile for styling and isn’t too bold.
How Strong Is A 5mm Chain?
The 5mm Cuban link chain is one of the most durable types of chains you can get. Even though it is more of a medium-sized chain it offers superior durability to other styles of chains at the same width.