6mm vs 7mm Cuban Link Chain: Which One Is Better?
Stuck on whether you should get the 6mm or 7mm Cuban link chain for your next piece of jewellery? We don’t blame you. Both Cuban chains are similar from a thickness standpoint, but there are some unique characteristics of each you need to know about.
In this blog, we compare the 6mm vs 7mm Cuban link chain. We go through the pros, cons and differences between each chain. In the end, we’ll give some recommendations on which chain would be best for you based on some important factors!
The 6mm Cuban Link Chain
- Versatile - the 6mm Cuban link chain is considered a medium-thickness Cuban chain. This makes it great as a statement piece worn on its own or layered with other pendants or necklaces.
- Lightweight - the 6mm Cuban chain is much lighter than thicker Cubans. This is because the chain has smaller links. This makes it an ideal chain for everyday wear.
- Unisex - the 6mm Cuban link chain looks great worn by both females and males. At 6mm, the Cuban chain is the perfect medium point. Ideal for females to wear as a statement piece or for men to wear on its own or layered with pendants and necklaces.
- Maintenance - By default, Cuban chains tend to be difficult to clean. Cleaning between links of a 6mm Cuban chain is harder than thicker ones. This is because gaps between links are smaller.
- Appearance - at 6mm the Cuban chain can still be considered a subtle chain. From far away it can be hard to see the chunky and rounded look of the chain.
- Durability - the 6mm Cuban chain offers great durability for a medium-sized chain, but is still not as durable as thicker ones. This is because each link is narrower and thinner.
The 7mm Cuban Link Chain
- Appearance - the iconic bold and rounded nature of the Cuban chain is more visible at 7mm. For this reason, the 7mm Cuban link chain is a great statement piece chain.
- Durable - At 7mm the Cuban link chain has great durability in comparison to thinner variations. This is because it has thicker, wider and bigger links.
- Versatility - the 7mm Cuban chain is not as versatile for styling compared to small or medium-sized Cuban chains. The bold and rounded look of the Cuban chain can be hard to style with thinner pendants and necklaces. The 7mm Cuban link chain is also better suited for casual outfits and can be hard to work into a smart one.
- Heavy - at 7mm the Cuban chain can feel heavy around the neck. For some, wearing this for a whole day can be uncomfortable.
- Price - the thick links featured on the 7mm Cuban chain mean that the chain can be expensive. This is because it uses more metals and overall materials.
Differences Between The 6mm and 7mm Cuban Link Chain
- Appearance - the 6mm Cuban link chain has a more subtle look compared to the 7mm Cuban link chain. Each individual link on the 6mm Cuban link chain is smaller, thinner and less thick.
- Weight - the 7mm Cuban link chain is slightly heavier than the 6mm Cuban link chain. This is because the 7mm Cuban link chain has larger links and uses more metals and materials.
- Durability - the 7mm Cuban link chain has greater durability than the 6mm Cuban link chain. This is because the 7mm Cuban link has thicker and wider links than the 6mm Cuban link chain.
- Amount of gold - the 7mm Cuban link chain will utilise more gold and metal in comparison to the 6mm Cuban link chain. This is because the chain is a larger chain.
- Styling - the 6mm Cuban link chain is much easier to style than the 7mm Cuban link chain. The 6mm Cuban link chain is a medium-sized Cuban chain making it easy to wear on its own as a statement piece or layered with other chains or pendants. The 7mm Cuban link chain is a bolder piece of jewellery and is best as a statement piece worn with casual outfits.
- Price - A 7mm Cuban link chain will cost more than a 6mm Cuban link chain. This is because the chain utilises thicker and bigger links. This means it requires more gold and metal to make. When more gold and metal are used, chains get more expensive.
- Maintenance - The 7mm Cuban link chain is more difficult to clean than the 6mm Cuban link chain. This is because it is a thicker chain, thus more surface area needs to be cleaned. In some cases, the 6mm Cuban chain can be more difficult to clean in between each link.
6mm vs 7mm Cuban Link Chain: Which Is The Best?
This will entirely depend on your personal preference, as well as how you plan to style it.
The 6mm Cuban chain is perfect for those looking for a medium-sized chain that is versatile in styling with pendants or other chains. This is a great chain for those that like a lighter-feeling chain and for those on a budget.
The 7mm Cuban chain is ideal for those losing a statement piece chain. This is a great chain for those that love the heavy feel of a chain around their neck and for those with a little bit more money to invest in their jewellery.
Now that we have compared the 6mm vs 7mm Cuban link chain, you should have a better understanding of their pros, cons and differences.
When it comes to choosing between these two chains, you should now be able to make a more informed decision as to which one to buy. For jewellers out there, this blog post should have provide you with a way to explain to your customers which chain would be best for them.
Whichever chain you do decide on, just know that both the 6mm and 7mm Cuban link chains make for a great addition to any jewellery collection.
Want to learn everything there is to know about the Cuban link chain? Check out our ultimate guide to the Cuban link chain.