6mm vs 8mm Cuban Link Chain: Which One Is Better?
With so many different thicknesses of Cuban necklaces to choose from it can be difficult to choose just one. From thinner Cuban link chains like the 3mm Cuban chain all the way up to thicker Cuban link chains like the 12mm Cuban, the choices are endless.
The 6mm and 8mm Cuban link chains are two of the most wanted options. Both of these chains have a range of similarities and differences. But which one should you choose?
In this blog, we compare the 6mm vs Cuban link chain. We go through the pros, cons and differences between these chains. In the end, we’ll recommend which chain is best for you based on your personal preferences.
The 6mm Cuban Link Chain
- Versatile - the 6mm Cuban link chain is neither bold nor subtle, making it versatile for styling. Layer it with other chains or pendants and wear it with casual and formal outfits. You can even attach chunkier pendants to it.
- Price - a 6mm Cuban link chain is still considered on the thinner side for these types of chains. Thus the 6mm Cuban link chain is an affordable option for those looking to buy a Cuban link.
- Lightweight - the 6mm Cuban link chain is much lighter than thicker chains. This makes it ideal as a daily wear piece.
- Durability - the 6mm Cuban link chain is durable. But, the chain is not as durable as it's thicker counterparts. This is because each individual link is much smaller in size.
- Appearance - At 6mm the Cuban link chain is still more of a subtle chain. From afar it can be hard to see the iconic rounded and bold look of the Cuban chain.
- Maintenance - The Cuban chain design in general is hard to maintain and keep clean. It can be particularly difficult to clean between links of a 6mm Cuban chain as the gap between links is so small.
The 8mm Cuban Link Chain
- Appearance - at 8mm the Cuban link chain begins to look chunky. The iconic rounded and bold design of the Cuban chain becomes more clear. This makes it the perfect statement piece.
- Durability - the 8mm Cuban link chain has greater durability compared to thinner ones. This is because of its thicker and wider links.
- Heavy - this can be both a pro and con. But, the 8mm Cuban link chain feels heavy when wearing. For some, this may not be comfortable to wear all day every day.
- Expensive - the 8mm Cuban link chain comprises of thicker links. This means the chain will use more materials, often this means the chain will be pricier than other chains.
- Versatility - at 8mm widths the Cuban chain is better off as a statement piece. It can be hard to layer it with other pendants. At the same time, it is less suitable for smart outfits. It is also likely that you won’t be able to attach a pendant to this chain as it is too thick.
Main Differences Between The 6mm And 8mm Cuban Link Chain
- Appearance - the 6mm Cuban link chain has a much more subtle look compared to the 8mm Cuban link chain. This is because it has thinner links.
- Weight - The 8mm Cuban link chain is much heavier than the 6mm Cuban link chain. This is because each individual link is much bigger. This means the chain utilises much more metals and materials than the 6mm variation.
- Durability - The 8mm Cuban link chain has greater durability than the 8mm Cuban chain. This is because the 8mm Cuban links are much thicker and wider than the 6mm Cuban.
- Amount of gold/metal used - The 8mm Cuban link chain uses much more gold and metal than the 6mm Cuban link chain. This is because it's a larger chain.
- Styling - The 6mm Cuban link chain is much more versatile in styling than the 8mm Cuban link chain. This is because it has a much more subtle look and isn’t as thick. This makes it ideal for layering with pendants, holding pendants and wearing with smart and casual outfits. Whilst the 8mm Cuban link chain is best reserved as a statement piece and worn with casual outfits.
- Price - The 8mm Cuban link chain will cost more than a 6mm Cuban link chain. This is because it is a bigger and thicker chain and will use more metals and materials to make.
- Maintenance requirements - The 8mm Cuban chain is more difficult to clean than the 6mm Cuban. This is because it is a thicker chain and has a larger surface area for cleaning.
6mm vs 8mm Cuban Link Chain: Which Is Better?
Which one is better for you will depend on a variety of factors. These include how you plan on styling them, the budget you have, and how you like the chain to feel whilst wearing it.
For those looking for a more subtle chain, the Cuban link chain is ideal for you. The chain can be layered easily with pendants and worn for both smart and casual events. This is also a great chain for those looking for a lighter-feeling chain and something that is lower maintenance.
For those who want to create a statement in whatever room they are in, then the 8mm Cuban link chain is ideal. The chain offers a heavy feel when worn whilst also being extremely durable. This is also a great option for those who have more money to invest in their jewellery.
Now that we have compared the 6mm vs 8mm Cuban link chain, you should now know the pros, cons and differences between each.
When it comes to choosing between these two chains, you should now be able to make a more informed decision. For the jewellers out there, this blog post provides an easy way for you to explain to customers which chain to get.
Whichever chain you decide on, both the 6mm and 8mm Cuban link chains are unique and make for a great addition to any jewellery collection.
Want to learn more about the Cuban Link chain? Read out blog post which covers all there is to know about Cuban Link chains.