Deciding between a Cuban chain and a rope chain can be difficult. They're both popular chains that offer a wealth of benefits. But, you should also be aware of the potential drawbacks of each to decide which one to get.
In this blog, we explain each chain and compare the Cuban chain vs the rope chain. We'll weigh up the pros and cons and come up with a final answer to which chain is better.
What Is A Rope Chain?
Rope chains consists of hundreds of small links wound together. These links form a rope-like structure, which when worn reflects light as no other chain can. The rope chain is well-known and loved by many due to its style, durability and eye-catching style.
- Durability - rope chains are resistant to scratches and damage. Can also support the weight of a pendant.
- Timeless - the rope design will never go out of style because of its uniqueness
- Versatile - comes in a variety of widths, colours and styles. They go with any outfit or occasion.
- Resistant to tangling - close packed links make the chain resistant to tangles or knots.
- Shiny - the rope shape of this chain makes it glossy and shiny when worn.
- Doesn’t need adjusting - the chain is a consistent spiral pattern and each individual link doesn't move on its own.
- Hard to repair - damage to one section of the rope chain can ruin the chain and be almost impossible to repair.
- Heavy - the rope chain tends to be much heavier than other types of chains.
- Potential for the chain to get caught on hair or clothing because of the number of links it consists of.
- Lack of customisation - can't add diamonds or gemstones to rope chains.
The cost of a rope chain depends on many factors. These include chain length, thickness, materials, clasp type and materials used.
One great aspect of rope chains is they come in a variety of materials and sizes. This makes it easy to find a rope chain suitable for your budget.
At Sky Austria, we combine quality and affordability in one with our rope chains.
Want to learn more about the rope chain?, have a look at our ultimate rope chain blog.
What Is A Cuban Chain?
Cuban link chains consist of round or oval ring links interlinked with each other. When worn the chain lays perfectly flat on the chest. Compared to other chains, the Cuban chain has larger and thicker links. This gives the chain a bold look that is ideal for a statement piece.
- Durability - their durability comes from their thick and interlocking link structure. They are resistant to scratches and damage making them ideal for daily wear. They can also support the weight of a pendant.
- Timeless - the Cuban chain will always be a popular type of chain, that will never go out of style.
- Versatile - Cuban chains come in a variety of widths, colours, styles and materials and suit any outfit.
- Lightweight - lighter than a rope chain, but still offer great durability.
- Customisation - you can add diamonds and stones to Cuban chains to add personal touch and shine.
- Repair - repairing a Cuban chain is much easier as all it requires is soldering or removing the broken link.
- Design - the design is very popular and you'll see many people wearing them out, which can come off as basic. At the same time, the design of a Cuban chain is very simple.
- Maintenance - the interlocking links of a Cuban chain make it hard to clean individual links.
- Price - Cuban chains are more expensive than other types of chains. This is because of the amount of material used and the complexity of manufacturing.
The price of a Cuban chain is dependent on many factors. These include chain width, length, clasps, metals used and even brand.
- Gold purity - a 14k gold Cuban chain will cost must more than an 18k gold Cuban chain
- Weight - heavier Cuban chains will be more expensive than lighter ones.
- Length - longer Cuban link chains will be more expensive than shorter ones.
- Stones - the number of diamonds or gemstones can add a hefty extra price to a Cuban chain.
Looking to learn more about the Cuban chain? Check out our Cuban chain ultimate guide.
Differences Between The Cuban Chain And Rope Chain
- Appearance - Cuban chains have a flat rounded and bold link structure whilst the rope chain is more cylindrical. At the same time, the Cuban chain lays flat against your body whilst wearing.
- Finish - Cuban chains have a smoother finish because it is a flat-linked chains. Rope chains have a rougher look and feel.
- Chain structure - Cuban chains consist of rounded flat interlinked links. Rope chains consist of many strands of metal twisted together.
- Shine - The twisted structure of a rope chain makes it much more reflective than a Cuban chain when worn on the neck.
- Durability - Cuban chains are much more durable than rope chains.
- Weight - Rope chains tend to be heavier than Cuban link chains.
- Price - the price of a Cuban chain tends to be much greater than that of a rope chain. Each individual link on a Cuban chain is thicker, thus requiring more precious metals to make.
Cuban Chain vs Rope Chain: Which One Is Better?
It depends on what you are looking for. Both chains offer great durability, have a heavy feel and are well-known and timeless.
A thick Cuban chain is a great statement piece, whilst thinner Cuban chains are great for tucking in. Thicker Cuban chains are also perfect for holding heavy, chunky and iced-out pendants because of how durable they are. If you are looking for a chain made to look chunky, then go for the Cuban chain.
The rope chain is a great piece as well as it isn't as thick but can still act as a statement piece because of how well it reflects light. The rope chain is much better for holding smaller pendants as they get tangled less often than a Cuban. Made to be thin, the rope chain at thicker widths can look overwhelming. Their cylindrical design is also not ideal for tucking in.
Both the Cuban chains and rope chains are versatile chain necklaces.
The rope chain is ideal for layering with other necklaces at thinner widths. Thicker rope chains are great statement pieces. Both thin and thick rope chains will reflect light well and will catch people's attention. The cylindrical design of the rope chain makes it perfect for a subtle piece as it is not as bold as a Cuban chain.
Cuban chains of thinner variants are great for tucking into a t-shirt or layered with other necklaces. Thicker Cuban chains are best for creating a statement because of their bold and eye-catching look.
Now that we've gone through the Cuban chain vs rope chain you should have a better understanding of both. We covered all the pros and cons and the major differences between the two.
You should now be more knowledgeable about these two chains, which will make it easier for you to make a purchasing decision between the two. For jewellers out there, these points provide you with a simple way of explaining the pros and cons to customers.
Both these chains have a place in everyone’s wardrobe, and who to say you can’t have both? They are both timeless pieces that can elevate any outfit.
Can You Wear A Cuban And Rope Chain?
Yes, you can wear a Cuban chain and rope chain together. The bold, rounded and flat structure of the Cuban chain contrasts well with the cylindrical rope chain to create an interesting look. At Sky Austria, this is also one of our favourite chain pairings and will never go out of style.
Why Is A Cuban Chain More Expensive?
Cuban chains are more expensive than rope chains because of a variety of reasons. Firstly, the manufacturing processes used to make them are a lot more complicated. Secondly, the Cuban chain is thicker and bolder and thus utilised more materials. Finally, the chain itself has associations with "luxury" and is one of the most popular chains out there.
Are Cuban Link Chains Worth It?
Considering Cuban link chains are highly durable, stylish, well known and go with any outfit. You may think they are expensive but they come in a variety of materials and sizes so you can find on that fits your budget.