Hollow Cuban Chain vs Solid Cuban Chain: Which One Should You Get?
Deciding between the hollow Cuban chain and the solid Cuban chain can be difficult. They’re both popular choices of Cuban chains and look very similar. But, these two styles of Cuban chain also have their differences.
In this blog post, we go over the hollow Cuban chain vs solid Cuban chain. We’ll go over the pros, cons and differences between the two. We’ll then provide some suggestions on which one is best for you.
What Is A Hollow Cuban Chain?
As the name suggests, the hollow Cuban chain is a variation of the Cuban chain that consists of hollow links. Other variations of the hollow Cuban chain include the semi-solid Cuban chain. Semi-solid Cuban chains have a semi-solid core, which uses more gold or metal than a regular hollow Cuban chain but it is still hollow. This gives the semi-hollow Cuban chain more weight and thickness than a traditional hollow Cuban chain.
- Price - the hollow Cuban chain uses fewer metals as each individual link has a hollow core.
- Lighter - the Hollow Cuban chain is lighter than other solid chains as it has a hollow core. This means the Hollow Cuban chain is great for daily wear and won’t be too heavy on your neck.
- Appearance - the hollow Cuban chain looks exactly like a solid Cuban chain but is a fraction of the cost.
- Durability - because the Hollow Cuban chain has an empty core, it is more susceptible to damage. Any excessive force can cause a hollow Cuban chain to dent or bend, and with enough pressure can even snap. The hollow Cuban chain also may not be suitable to hold heavier types of pendants.
- Less gold - because of the hollow core, the hollow Cuban chain uses much less gold than a solid chain. Thus this style of Cuban chain has a lower perceived value.
- Hollow sound - when tapping on a hollow Cuban chain you can hear the hollowness. This gives the hollow Cuban a "cheaper" feel.
- Light - this can be a con for some. Some people enjoy the heavy feel of a chain around their neck.
- Tangling - the lightness of the hollow Cuban chain means it is more susceptible to tangling.
- Resale value - because the hollow Cuban chain uses less gold, its resale value of it will be lower.
What Is A Solid Cuban Chain?
8mm Gold Miami Cuban Link Chain by Sky Austria
A solid Cuban chain is a variation of the Cuban chain that has no spaces inside each link. This Cuban chain is solid throughout the whole link and is the most common type of Cuban chain.
Most of the time "solid Cuban chain" refers to Cubans that are solid gold, however, there are other types of "solid" Cuban chains to choose from. A Cuban chain with a stainless steel base and gold plating can still be considered solid as the links are not hollow.
- Durability - the solid Cuban chain has filled in links. This gives it greater durability, and resistance to breaking and is able to withstand bending. Solid Cuban chains are also great for holding heavier pendants.
- More gold - the solid Cuban chain is filled and uses much more gold than hollow variations.
- Weight - the solid Cuban chain feels heavy and has a higher quality feel. This is great for those that love the feel of a heavy chain around their neck.
- Resistant to tangling - the solid Cuban chain is a heavier chain. This lowers the chances of the Cuban chain tangling throughout the day when you wear it.
- Higher resale value - a solid Cuban chain has a high resale value. You may be able to sell the chain for equal or more than what you bought it for after some time.
- Expensive - this is because the solid Cuban chain will utilise more precious metals. The solid Cuban chain also has a higher perceived value, thus is more expensive.
- Heavy - for some wearing the solid Cuban chain on a daily basis can cause discomfort around the neck area.
Differences Between The Hollow Cuban Chain And Solid Cuban Chain?
- Durability - the solid Cuban chain has greater durability than the hollow Cuban chain. This is because the solid Cuban chain has a filled core, giving it more resistance to wear and tear.
- Price - the solid Cuban chain is much more expensive than a hollow Cuban chain. This is because it uses much more gold.
- Risk of tangling - the hollow Cuban chain has a higher risk of tangling than the solid Cuban chain. This is because the hollow Cuban chain is lighter in weight and is more likely to move around during the day.
- Amount of gold/metal used - the solid Cuban chain uses more gold and metals than the hollow Cuban chain. This is because it has filled-in links.
- Weight - the weight of a solid Cuban chain is heavier than a hollow Cuban chain. This is because the solid Cuban chain uses more gold and is solid throughout.
- Resale value - the solid Cuban chain has a higher resale value than the hollow Cuban chain. This is because the solid Cuban chain uses much more gold
Hollow Cuban Chain vs Solid Cuban Chain: Which One Is Best For You?
The best Cuban chains for you will depend on your budget and styling requirements.
The hollow Cuban chain is perfect for those on a budget who aren’t bothered about the amount of gold their chain has or the future resale value. This is a great chain for everyday wear as it is lighter than a solid Cuban chain, and is perfect for those on a budget. The solid Cuban chain is best for those that want a piece of jewellery that offers great durability, feels heavy on the neck and won’t tangle. This chain is great for those that want as much gold as possible.
But what if you want a gold Cuban chain that is still affordable but has some weight to it? For you, the better choice is to get a stainless steel gold-plated Cuban chain. At Sky Austria, we have a range of high-quality stainless steel and gold-plated Cuban chains to choose from. Choose from 3mm, 5mm and 8mm options.
Now that we’ve gone through the hollow Cuban chain vs solid Cuban chain you should have a better understanding of both chains. We have gone through all the pros, cons and differences of each of these chains which should give you a better understanding of which one you want to buy.
If you are looking for an everyday, lightweight and affordable Cuban chain then the hollow variation is perfect. If you are looking for a heavier, more expensive and valuable Cuban chain then the solid variation is perfect.
Ultimately the choice between these two chains is down to personal preference. Either of these chains will be a great addition to your jewellery collection.
To learn more about the Cuban chain, check out our Cuban chain blog.
Did the solid Cuban chain peak your interest? Check out our Cuban chain collection.
Are Hollow Chains Good?
Yes, hollow chains are good. They look the same as solid gold chains but are less expensive. They are also lightweight, making them perfect for everyday wear.
Are Hollow Chains Worth Anything?
Yes, hollow chains are still worth a lot. This is because they still utilise gold, and more so than other gold options like gold plating. You will be able to resell the chain for the same price if not more depending on the price of the gold.
Does Hollow Gold Tarnish?
Yes over time hollow gold can tarnish. This is because there is less gold used in a hollow chain.