Hollow Rope Chain vs Solid Rope Chain: Which One Should You Get?
Choosing between a hollow rope chain and a solid rope chain can be a difficult decision. These are both popular choices of rope chains and from a visual appearance point of view look very similar. However, these styles of rope chains also have their differences.
In this blog post, we go over the hollow rope chain vs solid rope chain. We’ll cover each one’s pros, cons and differences. We’ll then offer some suggestions on which one is best for you.
What is a hollow rope chain?
As the name suggests, the hollow rope chain is a variation of the rope chain that features hollow links. The main reason this is done is to reduce the amount of overall gold used for the chain, providing a much more affordable option for individuals. This also gives the chain an overall lighter feel.
- Price - each link in a hollow rope chain features a hollow core. This means the chain overall uses less gold, allowing it to be more affordable than solid gold options.
- Lighter - the hollow rope chain is much lighter than solid variations. This means the hollow rope chain is great for daily wear and won’t be too heavy around your neck.
- Appearance - the hollow rope chain mimics the look of a solid rope chain but at a fraction of the cost.
- Durability - the empty core of the hollow rope chain means it is more susceptible to damage. Any excessive force can cause the hollow rope chain to dent or bend and with enough pressure snap. The hollow rope chain is not suitable to hold heavier types of pendants.
- Less gold - because of the hollow core, the hollow rope chain uses much less gold than a solid variation. For this reason, the hollow rope chain has a lower perceived value.
- Hollow sound - if you tap of the hollow rope chain you can hear the hollowness of the chain. This can give the chain a “cheaper” feel.
- Light - this can be a con for some. Some individual will prefer the heavy feel of a solid gold chain around their neck.
- Tangling - the lightweight nature of the hollow rope chain means that it is much more susceptible to tangling.
- Resale value - the hollow rope chain uses less gold, therefore it’s resale value is much less.
What is a solid rope chain?
The solid rope chain is a variation of the rope chain that has no spaces inside each link. The solid rope chain is solid without and is the most common type of rope chain you can get.
Most of the time “solid rope chains” refers to Cubans that are solid gold, however there re other types of “solid” rope chain to choose from. A rope chain with a stainless steel base and gold plating can still be considered solid as the links are not hollow.
- Durability - the solid rope chain has links that are solid throughout. This gives the chain greater durability and resistance to breaking. The chain is much more resistant to bending. This type of rope chain is also better for holding heavier pendants.
- More gold - the solid rope chain is filled and uses much more gold than hollow variations.
- Weight - the solid rope chain has a heavier and more quality feel to it. This is great for those who love the feel of a heavy chain around their neck.
- Resistant to tangling - the solid rope chain is a much heavier chain. This lowers the chances of the rope chain tangling throughout the day when you wear it.
- Higher resale value - a solid rope chain has a greater resale value than hollow variations. You may be able to sell the chain for equal or more than what you bought it for at the time.
- Expensive - this is because the solid rope chain utilises many more previous metals. The chain also has a higher perceived value, thus being more expensive.
- Heavy - for some wearing a solid rope chain on a daily basis can cause discomfort around the neck area.
Differences between the hollow rope chain and the solid rope chain?
- Durability - the solid rope chain has greater durability than the hollow Cuban chain. This is because the solid rope chain has a fully filled core, giving it more resistance to bending and snapping.
- Price - the soldi rope chain will be more expensive than a hollow one. This is because it will contain more gold.
- Risk of tangling - the hollow rope chain has a greater chance of tangling than the solid rope chain. This is because the hollow rope chain is lighter and is more likely to move around during the day.
- Amount of gold/metal used - the solid roep chain will use more gold than a hollow rope chain. This is because of it’s filled links.
- Weight - a solid rope chain will be heavier than a hollow rope chain. This is because the solid rope chain uses more gold.
- Resale value - the resale value of a solid rope chain is greater than that of a hollow rope chain. This is because it contains more gold.
Hollow rope chain vs solid rope chain: which one is best for you?
The best rope chain for you will ultimately depend on your budget and styling requirements.
If you are looking for a great rope chain that won’t break the bank and has an overall lighter feel to it, the hollow rope chain would be the best option for you. However, if you value durability, a heavy feel and resistance to tangling, the solid rope chain may be the better option.
If you are looking for a rope chain that is still affordable by has some weight to it, why not have a look at our range of rope chains? At Sky Austria, we have a range of high-quality stainless steel and gold-plated rope chains to choose from.
Now that we’ve gone through the hollow rope chain vs solid rope chain you should have a better understanding of both chains. After going through the pros, cons and differences of each, you should be more confident in making a buying decision.
If you are looking for an everyday wear, lightweight and affordable rope chain, the hollow variation is perfect. For a heavier, more expensive and valuable rope chain, the solid variation is better suited.
Ultimately the choice between these two chains is down to your personal preference. Either of these chains will be a great addition to your jewellery collection.
Looking to learn more about the rope chain? Check out our rope chain blog.
Did the solid rope chain pique your interest? Check out our rope chain collection.