How To Clean A Rope Chain
In this blog, we go over how to clean a rope chain. We discuss why it’s important as well as how to clean a rope chain and other methods to clean your rope chain.
Importance of keeping your rope chain clean
- Maintains shine and brilliance
- Maintain the value of the chain
- Avoid expensive repairs and cleaning costs
- Prevents tarnishing
Supplies you’ll need
- Mild dish soap (non-scented) or jewellery cleaner
- Lukewarm water
- Soft-bristled brush
- Soft cloth / Microfibre cloth
Before cleaning your rope chain, ensure you have all the necessary supplies. In addition, run a quick inspection of the condition of your rope chain. Check for any damages and ensure that the rope chain
Cleaning your rope chain (step by step)
- Fill your bowl with lukewarm water and add a few drops of mild dish soap. Mix this solution around until it has a bubbly consistency.
- Submerge your rope chain in lukewarm water and move it around. This will help remove any dirt from the rope chain.
- Leave the chain to soak in a soapy mixture for 10-15 minutes. This will soften any stubborn dirt on the rope chain for the next step.
- Then take the rope chain out of the soapy solution and carefully scrub each chain link with a soft-bristled brush or toothbrush. It is important you do this carefully to avoid scratching your rope chain.
- Once you have removed all the dirt from the tennis chain, pat it dry with an unused microfibre cloth. Pat drying will prevent the cloth from getting caught in any of the rope chain links.
- If you want to polish your tennis chain, mix a solution of baking soda and water together. Give the chain a gentle scrub, rinse with water then pat dry.
Other methods to clean your rope chains
- Clean with a dry soft cloth - doing this regularly will keep the chain looking shiny and brand new
- Use jewellery cleaning solution - put your rope chain in jewellery cleaning solution then rinse with water and dry with a cloth or paper towel.
- Baking soda and water - create a mixture of baking soda and warm water, then soak the rope chain in this solution. After this, wash off with warm water and pat dry with paper towels or soft cloth.
- Utrasonic cleaner - put your rope chain in an ultrasonic cleaner solution. Turn it on and watch as the dirt comes off easily.
How to maintain your rope chain between washes
- Avoid perfumes or lotions - avoid putting any harsh chemicals present in perfumes or lotions onto your rope chains. These chemicals can cause your rope chain to dull over time. Especially if it is made from a sterling silver material.
- Avoid pool water - chlorine in the water can dull the look of your rope chain. For gold-plated chains, chlorine can accelerate the fading of gold plating.
- Take your rope chain off before the shower - constant exposure to warm water and harsh chemicals in soaps will fade gold plating. This can cause your rope chain to lose its shine over time.
- Store separately - make sure that your rope chain is stored in a velour pouch or box lined with velour. This prevents dirt build-up and protects your chain from scratches.
In conclusion, keeping your rope chain is essential for keeping it looking shiny and lengthening it’s lifespan. Cleaning your Cuban link chain removes dirt, acids and oils from the surface of the chain. This also reduces the chances of damage and dulling to your Cuban.
After reading this blog, you should now have the knowledge required to clean your rope chain. The various methods we went through included cleaning using mild soap, baking soda, using a jewellery cleaning solution of dry cleaning with a soft cloth. If you’re still unsure about how to clean your rope chain and want it done safely, you should opt to take it to jewellery for professional cleaning.
With appropriate care and maintenance, your rope chain can continue to sparkle and shine for years to come.
Learn more about the rope chain by reading our blog which covers what is a rope chain.