Tired of your tennis chain looking dull and unimpressive? Dirt and oil can accumulate on the chain over time, causing it to lose its shine and brilliance. Not only does this affect the appearance of your tennis chain but can also decrease the value of the chain if the build-up of dirt gets extreme.
Learning how to clean your tennis chain will keep your chain looking shiny and aesthetic, whilst saving you money on cleaning and repairs. You’ll also do yourself a favour and keep the hygiene and longevity of your chain in check.
In this blog post, we show you exactly how to clean a tennis chain step by step and inform you of all the supplies you’ll need. We’ll also provide alternative methods for cleaning your tennis chain. With this knowledge, you can keep your tennis chain looking brand new whilst retaining all of its value
Importance Of Keeping Your Tennis Chain Clean
4mm Gold Tennis Chain by Sky Austria
- Maintain shine and brilliance - dirt and oils on the chain can make a tennis chain look dull.
- Maintain the value of the chain - if you maintain your tennis chain well, it is more likely to be worth a lot more money if you decide to sell it in the future.
- Avoid expensive repairs and cleaning costs - a build-up of dirt and grime on your tennis chain can damage it. Repair costs for a tennis chain are very costly
- Hygiene - if your tennis chain is dirty and oily it can cause skin irritation if not cleaned.
- Longevity - a build-up of dirt on your tennis chain can cause wear and tear over time. This can cause permanent dulling on your tennis chain and reduce it's value.
- Prevents tarnishing - cleaning strips the tennis chain of oil and dirt that can cause tarnishing.
Supplies You'll Need
- Mild dish soap or jewellery cleaner
- Lukewarm water
- Soft-bristled brush
- Soft cloth / Microfibre cloth
Before cleaning your tennis chain make sure you have all the supplies you need. In addition to this, run a quick inspection of the condition of the chain. Check for any damages and ensure the tennis chain doesn't have loose stones or broken links.
- Check for damages - ensure that the tennis chain doesn't have any loose stones or broken links.
- Ensure that you choose dish soap that is non-scented and doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals. This is so the soap doesn't strip away precious metals or dull the colours of the stones on your tennis chain.
Cleaning Your Tennis Chain (Step By Step)
- Fill a bowl with lukewarm water and add a few drops of mild dish soap. Mix this solution up until it has a bubbly consistency
- Submerge your tennis chain in lukewarm water and move it around. This will help remove any dirt from the tennis chain.
- Leave the chain to soak in the soapy mixture for 10-15 minutes. This will soften any stubborn dirt on the bracelet for the next step.
- Take the tennis chain out of the soapy solution and carefully scrub each link of the chain with a soft-bristled brush or toothbrush. It is important to do this gently as you could dislodge a stone if done incorrectly.
- Once you have removed all the dirt off the tennis chain, pat it dry with an unused microfibre cloth. Pat drying will prevent the cloth from getting caught in the prong settings.
- Once dry, run the dirty soap water through a colander. This ensures that if there were any diamonds dislodged that they are caught and don't go down the sink.
- If you want to polish your tennis chain mix a solution of baking soda and water together. Then give the chain a gentle scrub, rinse with water then pat dry.
Other Methods Of Cleaning Your Tennis Chains
- Clean it with a soft cloth - doing this on a daily basis will keep it looking shiny and brand new
- Ammonia and cold water - only use this method with real diamond tennis chains. Soak your diamond tennis chain in a mixture of 50/50 ammonia and cold water and dry it off with a cloth or paper towel.
- Soak the tennis chain in jewellery cleaning solution - put your tennis chain in the jewellery cleaning solution then rinse with water and dry with a cloth or paper towel.
- Baking soda and water - create a mixture of baking soda and warm water, then soak the tennis chain in this solution. After, wash off with warm water and dry with a paper towel or soft cloth.
- Use denture tablets - put on denture tablet into a glass of water. Place your tennis chain into the solution. Once done remove it and rinse with water. Pat, it off dry with a paper towel or soft cloth.
- Use toothpaste - put a bit of toothpaste on a soft bristle brush and gently brush over the tennis chain. Then rinse with water and dry with a soft cloth or paper towel.
- Use vodka - submerging your tennis chain in vodka is a great way to get it looking shiny again. Then wash off with water and dry with a paper towel or soft cloth.
- Ultrasonic cleaner - put your tennis chain in the ultrasonic cleaner solution. Turn it on and watch as the dirt comes off effortlessly.
- Steam cleaning - shooting your jewellery with a stream of steam is a great way to remove stubborn dirt. If your tennis chains have any loose diamonds, avoid this method.
How To Maintain Your Tennis Chain Between Washes
- Avoid perfumes or lotions - avoid exposing your tennis chain to a harsh chemical present in perfumes or lotions. These chemicals can cause your tennis chain to look dull over time.
- Avoid pool water - chlorine in water can strip away the shine from your tennis chain. If your tennis chain is gold-plated, it can accelerate the fading of gold plating.
- Take your tennis chain off before the shower - constant exposure to warm water and harsh soaps will fade gold plating. This can cause your tennis chain to lose its shine over time.
- Store separately - make sure that your tennis chain is stored in its own velour pouch of the box. This prevents dirt build-up as well as scratches.
Taking care of your tennis chain is crucial for maintaining its look, shine, brilliance and value over time. Neglecting this can lead to hygiene concerns, fading and expensive repairs.
After reading this blog post you should have a better idea about how to clean a tennis chain. By following these simple steps you’ll be able to clean your tennis chain at home using common household items.
You should also now be more aware of how to maintain your tennis chain. By avoiding harsh chemicals, pool water or shower water you can maintain a clean tennis chain.
By implementing these methods, tips and techniques, your tennis chain will remain a stunning and valuable piece of jewellery for years to come!
Learn more about the tennis by checking out our guide on tennis chain!
To shop the highest quality tennis chains in the market, check out our collection of tennis chains!