The infinity link chain and the Cuban link chain are two well-sought chains that often get confused with each other. For some, it can be difficult to choose between these chains as they are similar and different in many ways. In addition to this, they both offer their own set of pros and cons.
In this blog post, we go over the Infinity link vs Cuban link chain. We go over the pros, cons and differences of each and at the end give some recommendations for you!
What Is An Infinity Link Chain?
Silver Infinity Link Chain on Etsy
An infinity link chain is a type of Cuban link chain that is characterised by infinity-shaped links. These links interlock with each other and are chunkier than other Cuban link chains.
These chains tend to be made from precious metals like gold or silver or from malleable non-precious metals like brass. They usually have inset gemstones or diamonds.
- Durable - the infinity link chain tends to be thicker in size than other Cuban link chains. This gives it great durability.
- Appearance - The infinity link chain is one of the bolder and more eye-catching Cuban link chains you can get. The bold and rounded look of the infinity link is great to elevate any outfit.
- Investment - If an infinity link chain features diamonds, it can be a good investment. This is because over time the price and value of diamonds increase. You may be able to get back more than you bought the chain for if you sell it after a while.
- Price - Because the infinity link features many little inset diamonds it can cost upwards of £8,000. This is very expensive for a Cuban chain.
- Maintenance - Iced Cuban chain can be particularly difficult to maintain. You must ensure that when cleaning them that you do it carefully. During the cleaning process, diamonds or gemstones can dislodge.
- Styling - Because the infinity link is so bold and shiny it is best worn as a statement piece. This means it is harder to try and layer with other chains and pendants. This is true for chains that are finer and more delicate.
- Versatility - The infinity Cuban link is thick and usually made from gold, silver or brass. Almost all infinity Cuban link chains also feature inset diamonds or gemstones. Outside of this, it is hard to find infinity Cuban links in different styles.
- Heavy - The infinity link is heavy because of how thick each link is, and because of how many diamonds are inset into it. For some wearing the infinity link daily can be uncomfortable around the neck.
What Is A Cuban Link Chain?
8mm Gold Miami Cuban Chain by Sky Austria
- Durability - Cuban Link chains are one of the most durable styles of chain you can get. This is because each Cuban link is wide and chunky.
- Versatility - The classic Cuban link chain is one of the most versatile jewellery pieces. They come in a variety of materials, widths and lengths. There is a style of Cuban link chain for everyone.
- Styling - because of the vast number of Cuban link chains to choose from they are easy to pair with pendants or chains. Style them with both casual and smart outfits with no problems.
- Timeless - The simplistic design of the classic Cuban link chain makes it a timeless jewellery piece. It is truly a chain that will never go out of style.
- Affordable - it is possible to find Cuban link chains for an affordable price. Usually, these will be gold plated on stainless steel and be thinner in width.
- Customisation - It is possible to get your Cuban link chain customised with diamonds or gemstones just how you like it.
- Repairability - The Cuban link chain is one of the easiest types of chain to repair. This is because the chain features simple and similarly shaped links.
- Design - Although the Cuban link chain is iconic, its design is standard and relatively simple. For some this design just isn't interesting enough.
- Maintenance - Classic Cuban link chains can be difficult to maintain, especially cleaning between links. Cleaning between links can be a challenge as the gaps between links are usually quite small.
- Tangling - Thinner variations of the Cuban chain are susceptible to tangling. Oftentimes, a thin Cuban chain won’t lay flat on your neck during the day which can be frustrating for some.
- Heavy - Thicker variations of the Cuban chain can get quite heavy. For some wearing a thick Cuban chain all day can be uncomfortable.
Differences Between The Infinity Link And Cuban Link Chain
- Links - The infinity link chain consists of infinity-shaped links that interlock. The Cuban chain consists of round symmetrical links that interlock with each other.
- Appearance - The infinity link chain has bolder and thicker links. The infinity link chain also has wider gaps between links. The Cuban link chain has thinner and less bold links with smaller gaps between links.
- Clasps - The infinity link chain usually comes with a box clasp that is customised with diamonds. The classic Cuban link usually features a lobster clasp. But, you can find Cuban links with box clasps as well (less common)
- Versatility - the Cuban link chain is much more versatile in compared to the infinity link chain. The Cuban link chain comes in both thick and thin variations, whilst the infinity link chain is just usually thick. As well the classic Cuban link chain can be customised with diamonds. The infinity chain usually already comes with diamonds, and can't be customised.
- Styling - The classic Cuban link chain is easier to style than the infinity link chain. The Cuban link chain is a subtle chain that comes in both thick and thin variations, making it easy to style with both smart and casual outfits. The classic Cuban link chain is also great for layering with other pendants or necklaces. Whereas the infinity link chain is bolder and shinier making it better suited for casual outfits and as a statement piece.
- Shine - The infinity link chain is much shinier because it features diamonds and or gemstones. Whilst the Cuban link chain usually doesn’t, it is still shiny but not as shiny as an infinity link chain.
- Price - The infinity link chain will cost you much more than a classic Cuban link chain. This is because the infinity link chain is thicker and has inset diamonds.
- Weight - The infinity link chain is much heavier than the classic Cuban link chain. Naturally, the infinity link chain is much thicker than the classic Cuban link chain which makes it heavy. At the same time, the chain features diamonds which adds to the weight of the chain.
- Durability - The Cuban link chain is much more durable than the infinity link chain. This is because the Cuban link chain doesn’t feature diamonds which can fall off over time like an infinity Cuban link does.
Infinity Link Vs Cuban Link Chain: Which Is Better?
Which one is better for you will depend on many factors including how you plan on styling it as well as your personal preferences.
The infinity link chain is best for those looking for an uncommon and rate type of chain. It is great for those that love a thicker, bolder and heavier chain. It is best for those looking for the ultimate shiny statement piece chain. For those with a little bit more money to spend on their chains, the infinity link chain is a great choice.
The classic Cuban link chain is best for those that are looking for a timeless jewellery piece that can be styled with both casual and smart outfits and fits any occasion. This chain is great for those that want a chain that offers maximum durability, whilst still being on the lighter side. For those that are on a budget, this chain is perfect.
In conclusion, the infinity link and the Cuban link chain are two distinctly different chains that have their pros and cons. By comparing the infinity link vs Cuban link chain we determined that the infinity link chain is an ideal chain for you if you are looking for a statement piece chain better suited for casual outfits. The Cuban link chain is best for those that want a versatile and timeless jewellery piece that can be styled with any outfit.
Both chains offer great durability, but, the infinity link chain is much harder to maintain as it features inset diamonds.
Ultimately the choice between the infinity link chain and the Cuban link chain is up to personal preference. In our opinion, you can’t go wrong with either of these Cuban link chains when styling outfits.
To find out more about the Cuban link chain, check out our guide which covers everything you need to know about Cuban link chains.